School Program Impact
During the 2014-2015 academic year, Chess in the Schools’ instructors reached 500 classrooms in under-resourced public schools, touching the lives of nearly 13,000 students. Here’s what the classroom teachers had to say about the impact of those chess lessons on their pupils:
- 98% reported that their students’ self-esteem was positively impacted by participation in scholastic chess tournaments.
- 95% reported that chess instruction improved their students’ logical reasoning skills
- 93% believed that chess instruction improved their students’ cooperation skills
- 91% indicated that their students could play a legal game of chess by the end of the semester
- 90% said chess instruction improved their students’ social skills
Community Service Projects
Giving back is an integral part of our College Bound program. We are proud that for service and cultural events, our students boast a 71% overall participation rate. Community service projects undertaken this past year by our College Bound students include working with Trees New York, Materials for the Arts and St. Mary’s Episcopal Church Outreach Project.