Strikingly optimistic, intelligent, and self-reflective, chess expert Marcus Sutton attributes much of his personal success and his methodical nature to the influence of the game of chess and his work with Chess in the Schools…
What are the general CIS rules for players to know when playing in a CIS tournament?
CIS follows the USCF Rulebook (6th Edition, unless otherwise noted). Following are the rules we specify before each event:
You have the right to appeal a decision of a floor TD. If you wish to see the Chief TD, tell the floor TD right away. DO NOT wait until after the game is over to make this complaint.
1. Touch-move at all times; if adjusting, announce “I adjust” BEFORE making an adjustment.
2. When finished with game, shake hands, report result, reset the chessboard, and leave the playing area.
3. Games that do not start with a clock will have one added at the end of each game (when 10 minutes remain each player will be granted 5 minutes).
4. Illegal moves will result in a one minute penalty to the player making the illegal move. This rule is a variation of the USCF rule. If you have less than 1 minute and make an illegal move, you lose.
5. The playing area must remain quiet while games are in progress. No talking is allowed during play.